Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bookish Sundays: Lord of the Flies

Title: Lord of the Flies


Author: William Golding

Category: Fiction, Classics

Synopsis (c/o Barnes & Noble): "The classic tale of a group of English school boys who are left stranded on an unpopulated island, and who must confront not only the defects of their society but the defects of their own natures."


c/o Barnes & Noble


Short, sweet, and to the point.  If you haven't read Lord of the Flies, then I'm not sure you attended any American high school [which is completely plausible, and the idea of me having international readers makes me giddy inside].  As one of my favorite novels our English teacher made us read, this easily makes my top 50.  Please don't ask what else does, it would take me weeks to sort through everything I've read to compile an accurate list.


The goal when reading this classic is to look between the lines of the literal story, and find the comparisons the author is trying to convey in relation to our own society.  If you have never been challenged by teacher or otherwise to do this, then I ask you to do it next time you pick the book up.  It can be quite a depressing and horrific tale, but also quite an eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to every single comment, but only via email. If you don't have an email linked to your account, then I won't be able to respond to you! That doesn't mean I don't read your notes, though. Every single one makes my day better.