Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Moldy Berries?

In effort to start eating healthier while saving money on our grocery bill, I have recently started frequenting Larry's Produce, an amazing fruit and vegetable stand located in nearby Napa Valley.  However, due to my large affinity for blueberries and strawberries, I end up making the trip out there two or three times a week to buy in small quantities so they don't go bad (not that I mind...the drive is amazing, and the stand itself is so much fun).  I've started searching for a way to help me keep my produce fresh for longer so I can make less trips and buy larger quantities.  Then, I found this blog via Pinterest (such a life changing site, ya know?!).  Here is a home remedy to keep your berries from getting moldy:


Upon arriving home, prepare a mixture of one part vinegar and 10 parts water in a large bowl or pot.  White vinegar or apple cider vinegar work best.


Dump berries into mixture and stir until all berries have been doused in mixture.


Drain, and rinse if so desire.  Mixture is diluted enough that does not affect taste in my opinion, but it could be stronger to others.  Place in refrigerator until time to eat!

Voila!  The vinegar kills mold spores and other bacteria on the fruit, and keeps raspberries fresh for a week, and strawberries for two weeks.  I haven't tried it on blueberries yet, but I imagine just as fantastic of results.  Hope it works as well for you as it has for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to every single comment, but only via email. If you don't have an email linked to your account, then I won't be able to respond to you! That doesn't mean I don't read your notes, though. Every single one makes my day better.